Integrity, Intelligence & Enthusiasm
Noli Irritare Leonem
Leon High School was established in 1871 and has fielded a football team since 1915. Our first recorded game dates back to 1916. The continuously successful football program at Leon is one of the oldest and most highly revered aspects of Leon's historic tradition. The legacy continues under the leadership of Head Coach Garrett Jahn, a former Lion & Leon Football Hall of Fame Member who has returned to his alma mater. This 2017-2018 season we celebrate 102 Years of Lion Football! Let the pride and tradition continue . . .
Loss of a Great Leader
April 14, 2017 - Today Leon High School mourns the loss of a great leader. Jimmy Sauls, passed away last night at the age of 71. Coach Sauls, A 1964 Leon graduate played for coach Gene Cox’s first teams at Leon. Coach Sauls joined Coach Cox as an assistant in 1974. Together they worked side-by-side forging the famous Leon teams of the 70s and 80s. Coach Sauls replaced Coach Cox upon his retirement and added to the Leon legacy during his stint as the school’s athletic director and head football coach from 1991-2000. Coach Sauls compiled a record of 57-48 for the Lions earning a trip to the state finals in 1992. Funeral arrangments have not been finalized at this point. Please keep the Sauls family in your thoughts and prayers. - Billy Epting, Principal
*****A celebration of Coach Sauls' life will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 22, at City Church, 3215 Sessions Road. Bevis Funeral Home is handling arrangements. In an incredibly generous and selfless act, the family asks that in lieu of flowers, please make contributions to the Leon High School Football Program, 550 E. Tennessee St., 32308; the Fellowship of Christian Athletes; or the charity of your choice.
Spring 2017 News
- WELCOME Leon's New Football Head Coach - Garrett Jahn - a Leon alumni, Leon Football Hall of Fame Member, and FAU Football Hall of Fame Member! You can reach Coach Jahn at 863-599-8538 or email@example.com
- STRENGTH CONDITIONING - After school strength conditioning for players is open gym between 2:30 - 4:00 p.m. in the Field House. All players are asked to participate after school as their academic schedule permits.
- 2017 SPRING FOOTBALL - Spring Football starts Monday, April 24. Practice will be Monday - Friday 3-5:45 p.m. There may be a Saturday practice or two, depending on weather. Parent meeting (all current & incoming players) April 25 at 6 p.m. (talk about spring & summer ball, coach expectations, etc). Red & White Game is May 11 at 5:30 p.m. at Leon HS - enjoy football, food trucks, Leon fan gear for sale. Tentative Jamboree/Ref Clinic May 13 at Cox Stadium. Spring Game is May 18 against East Gadsden @ East Gadsden, 7 p.m. Players should have a physical and all consent forms on file. Forms are available at the Parent/Form tab above. Players should provide shorts, t-shirts, girdles & cleats. Schedule subject to change - check back often for updates.
- TOUCHDOWN CLUB - No April meeting. Next meeting is May 9 at 6 p.m. in the Field House. Please consider volunteering through the Leon Football Touchdown Club. Contact Sheree Brown 443-2691 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- FALL SCHEDULE - The 2017 Varsity & JV Schedules have been updated. Please check the Schedule tab above - recent changes were made!
- STAY CONNECTED - Sign up for Leon FB text alerts by texting @leonfb to the number 81010; like us on Facebook at Leon Varsity & JV Football; follow us on Twitter @LeonLionsFB
Full News Listing